Sunday, October 12, 2014

thanksgiving 2014.

Thanksgiving 2014

No fancy-schmancy blogger photos for this post. Just a blurry, poorly lit one—me with no makeup and wearing my Nan's sweater that is older than me, Tony not having showered since Friday. We're sexy.

***

As Tony and I were sitting down to our Thanksgiving dinner tonight, I realized it was our second Thanksgiving dinner as a couple, but our first as an engaged couple: Tony! This is our first Thanksgiving as an engaged couple! We need to take a photo! Wait! I need to get my ring! (I had taken it off to do some cleaning and then have a bath.) Okay. Ready. Oh no, the food isn't in the photo. (He didn't care.) Okay. Wait! My ring should be in the photo. (He laughed but obliged my awkward posing.) 

***

We ordered a whole chicken and gravy from Uncle Otis, and Tony cooked broccoli and mashed potatoes. It was simple, but delicious, and I don't think we could have been happier as we sat down to eat. 

Tony started shoveling food into his mouth, Mph! I'm so hungry! Mmm! 

I laughed and grabbed his hands. Babe, in my family we say what we're thankful for before we start eating. 

So we did. I said something long and bumbling like, I'm thankful that even in Beijing, halfway around the world, I have delicious food to eat on Thanksgiving and someone I love to share it with. I'm thankful that I'm engaged to someone who is kind, who is funny, makes me laugh everyday, but most of all is patient and loving. 

Tony kept it shorter: I'm thankful for you being with me and for introducing me to Thanksgiving. 

***

I told him that back home we'd be eating turkey, mashed potatoes (Mom used to cook rice for me because I liked it better than potatoes), corn and some other kind of vegetable, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, olives, dill pickles, cheese, and pie for dessert. 

***

It was a year ago, on Thanksgiving, that Tony moved all his things into the apartment and we got into the biggest fight we had had up until then. It's funny to think how far we've come since then. Funny and sweet and exciting. I love this man and as cliché as it sounds, I'm excited to spend many more Thansgivings with him. 

***

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...