Wednesday, April 25, 2012

ingrid michaelson in concert.

Meredith called me on a Friday night in January (or was it February?) and said, "Tigger! I'm buying you a ticket to Ingrid Michaelson's concert here in Montréal! All you have to figure out is how you're gonna get here!"

A plan was hatched and on Monday, April 9th, I stood at the entrance of the Corona Theatre, grinning like a toddler who had just been given a huge lollipop.


Tyler and I wanted to get there right when the doors opened. Meredith was more laid-back and said that we didn't have to be there until the opening act began (or even after). Her wisdom prevailed (partly because I thought the doors opened an hour later than they actually did) and we arrived at the Corona a little after 8.


Pearl and the Beard opened and they were phenomenal. The vocals! The drums! Woohee, I almost peed my pants. Seriously, I kept turning to Meredith to say, "I think I need to use the washroom." Her response: "You're just excited. Turn around." She was right.

I wanted to be as close to the front as possible; I had nothing to worry about. First of all, Meredith was right when she told me that there wasn't a bad place in the theatre. The view was perfect no matter where you stood or sat. Second of all, apparently Ingrid Michaelson fans aren't very pushy. I was able to  slide right up to the edge of the stage without any dirty glances or elbows thrust in my direction. (The picture of Pearl and the Beard was taken before I was in the very front but it's still a good view, eh?)


When Pearl and the Beard finished their set, we had about 45 minutes to wait. And wait. And wait. There was much anticipation and my eyes were everywhere, trying to soak up every last bit of the atmosphere, not wanting to forget a single minute. Not wanting to forget how I felt.


Finally, Ingrid Michaelson was on stage, bathed in red light, performing "Fire," from her new album. Many of the songs she played were from her new album and Meredith and I were quite pleased with ourselves that we were able to sing along with every word.


When people ask me why I'm a fan of Ingrid Michaelson I respond, "I'm not. I'm a fan of her music. I have no idea what her favourite colour is, when she was born, who her parents are, etc. I don't know what she likes and dislikes aside from what she shares on Twitter. All I know is her music, what it means to me and how it makes me feel."

I don't know her any better after seeing her perform (obviously) but I can say she was fantastic. She has a beautiful voice but more than that, she's personable. (As personable as one can be standing on a stage in front of hundreds of people.) She talked a lot, sharing anecdotes and footnotes to her songs.


For the encore, she played some of her older stuff. "The Chain" is a favourite and I'm so happy I was able to hear it live. I was so happy to be there. With friends. With Meredith.

Music is magical. So are emotions. When they collide... there are no words. At least, none that I can come up with. There is laughter, though. And tears. And clapping and stomping. As there should be.

P.S. Other highlights from my trip to Montréal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...