Thursday, March 22, 2012

spring.

"An optimist is the human personification of spring." - Susan J. Bissonette

This is one of my all-time favourite quotations. I spotted it in a friend's room a few years ago and had her write it on a yellow sticky note. I carried it around in my wallet until last year, when it finally lost all of its stickiness and fell out. Luckily for me, the quote appeared on one of the pages of my calendar and it is now pinned to my bulletin board. Not that I need it there; it often pops into my head and I've been thinking of it a lot over the past few days. 

I think I like it so much for two reasons. First of all, I like to think of myself as an optimist, and second of all, spring is my favourite season -- an understatement if ever there was one. 

You've heard of spring fever, causing people to fall in love? (Or at the very least, lust.) Well, I'm head-over-heels in love with spring. The mud. The puddles. The birds chirping. The light breeze and longer days. The damp smell that floats in the air, reminding me that everything is new again. 

Spring is a promise of fresh starts; it is the beginning of all things good. When it is gone, we enjoy summer, fall, and the knowledge that when the snowdrifts of winter melt, we will be rewarded once again.


I celebrated the first day of spring by indulging in a slushee with Melissa, by opening my window, by paying more attention to each step of my walk on the way to and from school.

I celebrated the first day of spring by turning my face towards the sun, by breathing that "new" smell, by having hope that everything will be okay.

How did you celebrate?

3 comments:

  1. How inspiring! Not too long ago a friend commented on a status of mine saying, "you remind me of Spring" and now that you have defined Spring for me, I take it as a huge compliment. I took took my roommate to get our first slushies of the year. I also celebrated with a Jones Soda downtown. Thank you for blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Annie, you are most definitely spring-like :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...